Sunday, November 20, 2016

THE LAST TRAIN

It has been ten minutes late for last train to Bogor to appear, the clock at one of station pillars showing time at 22:50. If I had taken the bus an hour and half earlier to Ragunan terminal, I could arrive at Kampung Rambutan right now, that’s midst way to my house on Bogor. But obviously it’s too late to change my decision, according to the schedules the last trip of inter-city bus had passed thirty minutes ago.

Luckily is not only me who have been waiting on this station. There were few female accompany me, like beautiful woman dressing in an office suit who seemed to finished her overtime task and glum-looking middle-aged woman who often coughed since I sat on this bench.

Trrrrttt...Trrrttt...


My cell phone rang...it’s from Jimmy...it’s a bit hard for me to respond this calls, my anger to my cheat boyfriend hasn’t decreased yet…the cause nonetheless than he was caught by me, once again, sending and also receiving love message on his cell to girl named Rani. He said it was just for jokes and he couldn’t avoid it because Rani is her secretary at the office…whatever…player stays player…cheater stays cheater…so I don’t give a damn to his long explanation…promising myself to ignore him but finally I picked up my cell phone,

"What?"

"Haven’t you going back home, babe?”

“No, I haven’t! Just likewise, isn’t it?”

“Are you sure it’s okay for you to be alone?”

"I’m a big girl, thank you!” I replied.

“If you’re still at the campus let me pick you up.”

“No need. I’m sure you’ve been busy with your new secretary right now.”

“Don’t say something like that, I…”

“Cut the crap, Jimmy! I’ve done talking with you.”

“Why won’t you give me time to explain everything?”

“I bet that takes long, huh? Too bad I had train to catch!” the whistle of upcoming train confirm my word. Truth is I don’t want to hear anything he’s saying, just like a boxer on a ring I’m saved…saved by the bell...

"Train?" Jimmy replied. "Are you crazy? Don’t you hear news about the Scar-Face newy?"

"I did! But I bet he’s on his bed in this hour, bye..."

“Wait!”

I hung up and grabbing all my stuffs, a canvas bag filled with books and lot of college stuff and a big size laptop bags, then jumped into the train. The laptop bag obviously something I should considered top priority because I bought that thing recently just to do my thesis, so I’ll be damned if I lost it. The chair on my section seemed full so I have to find some spot that looks quite comfortable as this train left Gondangdia Station.

I swore...it’s all because of Jimmy...if he was not too noisy calling me surely I'd be first to get a seat on one of these benches. And why the hell he should bring that Scar-Face thing out? What that criminal’s do was worse, he shouldn’t have say anything like that, but it’s not Jimmy if he’s not making me paranoid like now.

Actually, I've been ride this train on regular every time I went to campus, the path always the same; Bogor-Jakarta vice versa. Though the distance look far many people don’t have objection to live like that, workers and office employees willing to travel back and forth like that, and if they don’t mind so was I even though most college fellow like me choose to stay on boarding house around Cikini or Gondangdia, where my campus located, what else their reason than saving time, less effort to do, and of course lot cheaper for cost.

Cost was not an issue for me, my father and mother always ante me up with extra money so I can go home every day. As their only child, they seemed not so willing to let me go to studied in Jakarta, on the other hand I really need to get out of Bogor, I stays on that city since born to teen period, so that town started to bored me, but to minimize their anxiety we finally agreed to compromise and the decision to go home after college by train probably for the best for both side.

Two years taking the ride like this was fun, especially when Jimmy was still working in Jakarta, we even gave a nickname of love carriages love for a carriage that carrying us. But when he opened his own consulting office in Bogor, I always travel alone since then. Well, actually sometime Jimmy picked me up if he met his client in this big city.

In the end I realized Jimmy's absence causing me some anxiety. I have no secure feeling as I always had from him. The crazy thing, I began to realize the odd glance by male passengers who were looking at me with that weird act, feels like they want to undressed or even craziest. Another time, I also started to notice that certain men who approached me gently on the train had purpose on me...

Most of the anxiety is actually just on my mind...and I guess I'm just too overwhelming everything at first...until I experienced it myself...when the city train I ride this morning slowing down as it’s entering Cikini Station, the passengers were marching towards the exit door already. 

I was standing in the middle of that crowd, waiting there, because my destination was on the next station. When the train has stopped completely the anxious passengers began to push each other in order to go down, it was then I suddenly felt a hand burst among those queues and squeezed my right breast. The squeeze was subtle, fast, and it was no mean of accidentally at all, it was on purpose, so I shrieked....

"KKYYYAAAAA... WHAT THE HELL?"

It surely surprising the queuing passengers and they’re looked at me curiously, but none of them seem guilty or get embarrassed for doing that nasty thing. It was something you call it solid sexual harassment. Their faces was flat, surely I can’t took the blame on someone because I barely seen the bastard who own the cruel hand that done the insolent to me. 

All I can do was cursing, spouting expletives name of dozens of animals. I wish God sent down a lightning to burn the culprit, right where he stand on his place, which unfortunately impossible because the lightning will surely scorch dozens of other people who were near that bastard as well.

What an embarrassing morning that was…

But the truth is, I actually had more embarrassing experienced than that, it was year ago when I took the train heading up to Kota Station with Jimmy, we had to take economic class because that was the last train on scheduled after we’re return late from movie. I never like economic-class’ train for it stopped almost at every station and the situation was awful during after office hour, just think of a sardine inside a can and that’s exactly was happened if you let yourself inside the wagon, but Jimmy and I have no other option or we couldn’t back home at all.

It barely half-hour in the wagon my eyes suddenly blur and I felt little bit dizzy, next thing I knew everything turned dark. When I woke up I was lying on a bench, surrounded by Jimmy and dozens of visitors who watch and just want to know what the hell was wrong with me but no one intent to help, except Jimmy. Turned out that I passed out so Jimmy had to carry me out of train as it’s stopped at the nearest station... he always laughs at me when we see loaded wagon since then…that jerk…

But I guess the last year incident was nothing compared to what had happened on that morning, it really make me feel…insulted…in fact I still remember the felt of slight twitch in my right breast as he squeeze me there…leaving the anxiety of this bad imagination wildly...

Not that I’ve never heard about the Scar-Face and every awful thing he did! From newspaper or people’s talk in train I know what he’d done and his ability to done that. He often killed his victim on train or station with the modus of robbery, stealing bags, and stabbing them at the back. Most of the victims were women. Perhaps they’re more easily misled or not able to fight comparing to men.

The outlaw was not act in one route only but rather selecting random path so that the police and train security service were not able to catch him. Three months ago he made two stabbings in Tangerang - City. Two months before his victim was found decomposing in the ladies closet at Manggarai station. 

Last month he’s doing three attacks at the route of Tanah Abang - Bekasi. And no matter how many times he’s doing the killing in the past two weeks, it obviously started to scares people out like shit, bring restlessness for many, especially for train-to-work people like me.

The problem’s that criminals always performing his action in middle of crowd. No one knows how he could do such thing so well but everyone who becomes his victim dies…well maybe not all of them exactly because there’s one survivor who’s being attacked at Pasar Minggu station still alive, she managed to escape from death and it was her who told cops about the face of the serial killer…she look at his face directly…an eye to eye… 

From her description police started the search, unfortunately...reporters smells about the serial killer’s sketch and they’re able to get it – only God knows how – and broadcast it brutally to every media, telling them of scars on his face as well, and it cause the madness of the police. They were furious, not only because their investigations interrupted but that kind of information will surely make the person more difficult to find, either he’ll probably covering himself up with splendid disguise or vanishing for good.

Not to mention reaction of the public, I realized train passengers often had suspicious look each other just to make sure there’s no scar on the face of stranger that taking seat beside them, and that’s what exactly I did when I see that man…a rough-faced man asked me to sit on empty chair next to him after the man who sit on it before left on Pasar Minggu.


"Here, take the seat, you must be tired standing that long.”

He had no scar but I don’t trust how he looks…it looks…tempered…I bet he will done anything odd if I sit next to him so I shook my head and approaching a smiling middle-aged woman who look gloomy at Gondangdia Station, which by coincidence also had an empty chair beside her, so I have good reason to refuse that rough-faced man’s offer. I put earphones on my ears and closed my eyes, trying to sleep even though my brain kept spinning.

Well, both of breast incident and scar-face finally makes me thinks to accept my father’s offer of buying car for me. At first I declined that offer because his budget could only buy used car so I say if he’s serious it better be saving more I order to buy a new one.

No need to be fancy, the main thing was I don’t have to be bothered with unexpected repairs that usually caused by a used car. But tonight I decided to tell him that I change my mind because all of those. He should understand if that’s for the good of his daughter. Besides, a city car would be enough, and that what he offered me few months ago.

Although having car was less comfortable because of the heavy traffic in Jakarta, it still much safer than riding a train that carrying a pervert or serial killer. To be honest, it drives me nuts every time people queuing down to the destination station like few minutes ago. And I become more certain with my decision when I realized that look...

I opened my eyes slowly, from the corner of my eye I glanced at the bench where the rough-faced man was seated. He was staring at me, motionless and intently, maybe there’s something wrong with me, so my hand moving down slowly just to make sure my mini skirt hasn’t revealing my thighs. The man seemed to realize what I was doing and he gave me wide grin.

Pervert!!! I wish I could thrown a knife to stab his dirty eye !!! I swore to myself.

The man was still looking at me intently, as if he’s doing nothing wrong, once again I pretended to sleep for dispelling clumsy which don’t make the man guilt my ignorance, though.

I should have rebukes him as hard as Winda, one of my classmates ever told, had did when a man on a train looked at her with nasty face glance such that. It strikes the man with sordid shamed because her shouts merely attracted other passengers attention but turned out I didn’t have the guts to do that. For the first time I blame my ego for refusing Jimmy’s offer to take me home, if only I’m not dragging my pride so damn high surely I won’t be panicked like now.

I don’t how but somehow this weird feeling telling me everything was not going to be fine…something wrong will happened but I don’t know what…and suddenly I missed the present of Jimmy on my side…he surely knows what to do and how to calm me down.

"What a rude man..." hissed the old lady next to me muttered.

"What, auntie?" I replied because I didn’t hear her clearly.

"I’m talking about that man, the one who sitting there, who looks like fugitive crap. I saw him staring at you since you got to this train.”

"Oh, that man! Did he peeping me? I felt a little bit like fool by his looks."

"That’s why you shouldn’t wear miniskirts in place like this. Too bad kids are hard to listen something like that, it’s a matter of fashion and style they’ve said, and that’s what exactly my grand-daughter had said also,” the old lady coughing then tighten the scarf to covers her face from nose-down. “Sorry, it’s really cold here, I can’t stand it.”

"It’s okay, auntie! It was cold as this usually and it getting colder during the night.”

“Do you always taking a night ride?”

"Sometimes, if I had evening class scheduled.”

"Did you? You don’t seem like a college girl. I thought you’re already works on office or something.”

"That cause by my outfit probably,” I giggles. “My campus had streaked rules for what we should wear and what should not, the consideration probably because they wanted us to be comfortable already on working atmosphere after we graduates.”

"That’s good! I hate to see college kid wearing tank top and jeans to go to study. Where the hell they think they’re going? Clubbing? I think campuses and professors deserve more respect from person they whom teaching.”

I chuckled, "But that’s what common right now, auntie! Casual style.”

"I don’t mind to be casual but still you have to put yourself right, that kind of outfit suitable only for picnic or going to the beach with your boyfriend. Well, perhaps I should tell my granddaughter to go to the same campus as yours just to make her knows about rules and the appropriate.”

"Well, my college starting to open registration for new students next month. I can give you their number if you want to get the information,” suddenly I sound like PR for my campus.

"That could be fine. How nice of you thinking of me like that,” she smiled and she entering the number I gave to her cell phone. “But do they mind if I said something like this to her?”

"Say what, aunt?" I replied.

"I’ll strictly tell her not to wear a mini skirt to campus because...it discomforted her like you do now.”

"Of course, auntie...." I nodded and smiling. "By the way, are you alone right now? Is there no one accompany you?”

“Yes, I am! Like I told you before…kids! You couldn’t count on them. They seemed never had time for this old lady.”

"But you don’t have problem to know where you destination, haven’t you?” I asked, somewhat worried, I remember Jimmy nearly lost his super-senile grandmother after she decided to go to the market by herself and apparently forgetting her way back and where to go to.

The old woman looked at me with a guffaw, "Oh, my goodness! Of course! I'm not stupid. I'll get off at UI station."

I smiled, "I’m just afraid you forgot"

"No…no my dear sweet child, you shouldn’t have. My grandchild will pick me up by car there.”

"Thank God..." I commented.

"And how about you, where are you going?”

“Bogor, auntie."

"Oh, that’ll be me to go down first from you, you could alarmed me then if I forgot just like you’ve said,” she winched at me with her bright eye and I chuckled. “My advice, take care of yourself, especially you should watch that guy.”

I turned around as she pointed the rough-faced man with her chin, and seeing him been sleeping at that time, stretching his upper body up with hands crossing at his chest, hats slumped on his face.

"I will" I replied, smiling warmly, this old lady attention casting out the fear that had been playing in my heart.

The train pace began to decrease, five minutes later it stopped completely as it reaches UI station, and the old lady stood up and following other passengers who had already headed for the door. It was then when I saw a brown bag lies on the bench where the lady had seated before. I remember the bag was held on her hand when we’ve been talking since. She must be forgotten to take the bag.

I took the bag quickly and shout at her, "Auntie...wait…your bag..."

She didn’t hear me because she had passed the train door already and on her way out the station, she’s been walking down the alley to the exit gate. I yelled once again, much louder than the first one and that old lady paused a while, her head circling around as to find the source of voice that calls for her, but she returning to walk when she can’t find the person who call her in loud.

I should gave this bag back to her fast, this train had three minutes of waiting before it closed its door and heading to the next station, and three minutes surely enough to done that.  I don’t want to feel guilty thinking about how she felt when she found out that she lost this bag.

Rushing outside I carried the brown bag on my right hand my thing on my left, running towards her, screaming once more time, "Auntie...auntie...wait..."

As I run to followed that old woman, I didn’t realized that the rough-faced man who’s been staring at me also got off the train and take the following where I go.

"AAAUUNNTTIIIEE...WWAAAIIITTT..."

She stopped once again, right on one of quiet corridor that close to toilet, seemed realized that she’s not been day-dreaming and she smile as she looked back at me who’s been running to her, “Oh, dear? What is it, my dear child? Why are you running like that?”

"Your bag was left behind,” I answered as I handed her brown bag.

The woman's face full of surprised and relieve, "My goodness! Right when I just say that senile was not on me…” she said with laughter. "Oops...sorry..."

She dropped the bag because I handed it too hasty because I’m worried that I’ll be late to catch my train, what a stupid thing on me, "I’m sorry...here, let me help you..."

I bent down to take the bags on the floor, too late to realize that people around me screaming, too late to run for escape, and there’s a sudden chug from behind...

BANG!!! BANG!!!

Those loud sounds make me freeze in sudden as I felt an object sliding on my back then clattered to the floor, which turned out to be folding knife, and the body of an old woman fell to the ground just a few meters from where I was kneeling...

KKKYYYAAAAAA!!!

I screamed hysterically to see that old lady killed with holes on her chest, her scarf that cover her head and neck exposed and reveals a red line that runs across the scarred left cheek, and that’s not a figure of female at all….the old lady actually the Scar-Face who known as the train serial killer. 

Suddenly the back on my hair tingling, he must have left the bag there as a bait and I catch it foolishly, the person I thought as my ‘allied’ turned out to be the most dangerous…and the one who saved me…

I turned around, still my shock-looking face, and saw that rough-faced man standing there with his gun drawn… 


END

No comments:

Post a Comment