Thursday, September 15, 2016

VIY (FORBIDDEN KINGDOM)

Directed by: Oleg Stepchenko
Starring by: Jason Flemyng, Andrey Smolyakov, Agnia Ditkovskite
Production: ANkor Film and Marine Group Entertainment


I was excited when I've got mail from my blog reader, Yuri Mischa, suggesting I made a review about Russian’s horror film and she gave me some which unfortunately hard for me to follow because I didn’t understand the language. So I need time to seek the translation and gladly I’m able to get for this one, Viy (Forbidden Kingdom), but still had stuttering to grab the whole piece of the story…but let me give it a shoot…

To be honest, this movie probably quite unknown for most people, especially like the guy who lives at the back-side-of-earth from Russia like me, and I certainly had never heard of it if Yuri never gave me the challenge. So I was amazed to know that Viy is comes from east Slavic legends which closely from the place where the myth of Dracula comes. It was based on the short story written by legendary Nikolai Gogol in 1835 and was adapted to film in 1967 in USSR.  

What is Viy and who was Nikolai Gogol? Perhaps, I’d like to write it for my next article but this time I’ll take attention closely to the film itself, which I have to watch it over and over again just to catch the whole scenery…

It started with people in a small village near Transylvania who lived under their belief of mystical creature who like to sacrifice a virgin and control them with dark forces. The ‘root’ creature as I said to myself to see it emerge from the lake and made one girl, Panochka, having the apparent death condition while the other, Nastusya, lost her sanity.

For my opinion, I’m quiet amazed with the 3D effect at the previous scenes they’ve put in the screen image…this Russian people really knows what they’re doing. It’s just like seeing Hollywood movie here…

Father Paisiy, the village priest, request to make the funeral ceremony for Panochka, instead she insisted her father Pan Sotnik, to call another priest named Horma Brutus and pray for her 3 days and night, forgiving her soul to release from demons inside. Sotnik brought her daughter to the church at the higher place and ordered Horma to cast the devil. Horma didn’t have any other choice than conducting the pray ceremony as the village leader had said.

Meanwhile, there’s a cartographer from British named Jonathan Green who make a journey from Europe to the east. The story of Jonathan Green begins when he was caught by some gentleman named Dudley on the same bed of Dudley’s daughter. The gentleman was furious and chased Green to his chariot that led him to the journey. Well, I think that plot is not really necessary to describe. It will be more sophisticated if the story just begins with the journey itself.     

At the village, Father Paisiy doing everything he could to take cares the village from dark forces by performing Christian ceremony which ends with the presence of evil around them because as we seen before he was sleazy man that stealing gold coin that supposed to be Horma’s share from Sotnik.

Green having passed through Transylvania and crossed the Carpathian Mountains when he finds himself in a small village lost in impassible woods. Nothing but chance, heavy fog, and the most for it are wolves that chasing him through the darkness of the woods to that cursed place.

The villagers having to know more about this stranger, Green from British, and share their naïve belief to him at gala dinner without even realize they’re already possessed by evil that has made its nest in their souls and is waiting for an opportunity to gush out in the midst of the dinner time. Green who never believes in superstitious, just facts and science, had to face the moment where the villagers turn to monsters.

Well, once more I’ve stunk at this part because I never sees a transformation as clear as that and none of the monster is worth to laugh because they were very creepy, unbelievable, astonishing, and beyond imagination, there were five different creatures who emerged as the power of Viy have arise but in the end it brings no effect to Jonathan Green except for the remarkable moment.

The young scientist from Britain faced no fear at all and just wake up the next morning without even bother the scariest moment ever happened before. For my thought, the transformation scene is really no need to put in, same as the previous scene where Green caught by Dudley in the bedroom.

Horma Brutus was facing that demon himself when Panochka rises from her apparent death and started terrorized him with the power of Viy, ancient god, who lived underneath the earth, and there was where the root lord take control the terror.

I like the last part where you’re convinced that “God can’t take your life but any other man could” by the cast, especially Father Paisiy who turned to be behind all of weird events, and shows it the other way around when the cross at the church ceiling fall down and crushed the priest. But I supposed this film could take another plot, the better one, to shows the pride of Russian people.

If you could make the 3D effect so marvelously for the movie, I guess you don't need an Englishman to solve everything better. It doesn’t mean English people do no good but you should choose another character from the local. For my concern not all Russian turned out to be superstitious at that time. There are several young men like Michael Lomonosov, Ivan Pavlov, or Dmitri Mendeleev who’s belong to the fact’s people that doesn’t believe supernatural easily.

But the describing of how Russian people were being so Christian at 18th century really surprises me because I only knew it as one of countries that known to be resistant to any religion since the era of communist. It turned out that Christianity was really something that belongs once and live closely to people there. They used that belief to cast the dark force out from the village profoundly, which also shows in the cross stubbing scene at the last chapter.

Well, if you’re looking for good story, I’m afraid this movie couldn’t give you that, unless you seek a movie with great effect that had nearly same approach as Hollywood then you’ll be surprised. The story rather disjointed one another and as I watched it over and over again I still couldn’t get the whole idea where it goes besides the event that had background of the urban legend which simply just being attached but not take the main part.

I supposed this ain’t horror movie either. It merely looks like Sleepy Hollow from the time and location purpose but the movie is way far from scarring people. When I watched it seems like I’m having experience as I did with Dracula Untold…more like dark fantasy to me and when you watching dark fantasy it’s your wild imagination that’s being hit, not your fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment